Homemade cockroach killer remedies are the best solution for getting rid of roaches in your home.
Chemical sprays can kill them but they could be at the wrong place like your food drawer where you do not want poisonous chemicals to go. So your best bet is a natural cockroach killer.
Be careful of pest chemical sprays because many of them contain four ingredients that can cause brain damage: isobutene, butane, propane, and DEET.
Natural Cockroach Killer
Sugar and baking soda
One of the easiest and cheapest ways to kill roaches and cockroaches is to mix half-and-half of baking soda and sugar together and place it at infested territories to attract the pests. Once they eat it they will die.
Apply a large quantity of petroleum jelly inside a glass jar and place some bait such as bacon drippings or fruit in the middle of the jelly. Wrap a paper towel around the jar and place it at where you want to trap the roaches. They will climb the jar and fall into the jelly and can’t come out. This is a simple quiet way in getting rid of roaches.
Tricky dough remedy
Mix the following ingredients together to get rid of cockroaches.
- 2 cups of boric acid
- 1 cup of flour
- ¼ cup of shortening
- 1 small chopped onion
Mix all these together with enough water to make stiff dough. Shape the dough into small sizes like marbles and place them in the damp and dark areas where roaches and cockroaches hide. This is an efficient cockroach killer remedy.
Getting rid of roaches with cloves
Another clean and cost effective way of getting rid of roaches and cockroaches is to sprinkle some whole cloves in any area where you experience the pest problem. This is a natural cockroach repellent that will keep them away.
Borax and cocoa powder cockroach killer
Here is one of the best ways to destroy cockroaches and roaches. Get the following ingredients together.
- 4 tablespoons of borax
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
Mix all of them together and place them in jars. Place the jars underneath your sinks, behind the refrigerator, and any where the roaches roam about. Be careful to place them beyond the reach of children and your lovely pets because of the sugary cocoa taste. This is an effective cockroach killer.
Cornstarch and sugar
Another way of getting rid of roaches is to consider these home remedies for cockroaches
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- Take 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of boric acid
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable shortening
Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly and make it into small balls. Place some in small open mouth containers. Label and place a date on them and deposit them in hidden areas that attract roaches. Protect them away from children and pets. The balls can last for 5 months.
Flour and borax for cockroaches
A mixture of 2 ounces or a quarter cup of flour with 4 ounces or half cup of borax placed around kitchen crevices can drive away roaches.
More remedies of Cockroach Killer
Yarrow leaves: Get some yarrow leaves and place them around where you usually spot cockroaches and roaches. They cannot stand the smell. You can get the leaves online for about five dollars.
Horsemint: Grind some horsemint leaves and add some vinegar to it. Place some in a small plate and put it in the corner where the cockroaches and roaches come from. They do not like that smell.
Also : Home remedies for fleas
Bleach remedy: One way of killing roaches is to mix some bleach with water and mop your carpet floor with it. Open your windows throughout the day to let out the bleach smell. Cockroaches and roaches tend to die when they walk around on the floor especially at night. Note: This cockroach killer method is not natural though.
Orange peel and borax: Cut orange peels into pieces and mix them up with some borax. Place some in the hidden corners where roaches usually come from. This drives them away. However, make sure you do not place it close to any food item or dining items. This is a natural bug repellent for home treatment.
Cockroach Killer – Preventive measures
- Clean the area behind your water heater.
- Create a lot of free space underneath your kitchen sink.
- Remove wet things from under the sink.
- Repair any torn or damaged wall paper because roaches love to hide behind it.
- Clean behind your refrigerator once a while.
- Maintain a clean kitchen cupboards and drawers.
- Cleanup your kitchen sink with some water and vinegar before going to bed.
- Secure your garbage bags or containers properly.
Also Read : kitchen cleaning tips
- Water is the main lure of roaches in the bathroom so prevent moist areas and keep them dry.
- Check out for water around pipes underneath vanity cabinet.
- Dry up any rubber shower mat because roaches love to hide under it.
- Vacuum any food cramps around your television and desktop computers.
- Once a while clean your bookshelves because cockroaches love the binding glues on books.
- Do not leave pet food out in the pet food tray overnight.
- Do not leave your food plates unwashed for a few hours especially in the evening. This helps in getting rid of roaches.
Examine these natural cockroach killer remedies carefully and use some for you home, taking into consideration your kids and pets safety.