The medical field highly recommends Home remedies for urinary tract infection (UTI) for treatment unless it is severe.
The urinary tract is responsible for making urine and passing it out of the body. It is composed of the kidneys, ureters (tubes that move urine from kidneys to the bladder), the bladder, and the urethra.
The presence of bacteria in the urinary tract from the kidneys via the bladder is known as a urinary tract infection or UTI.
This infection is more common in young girls and women than men, due to many different reasons(1), especially because the female urethra has a short length and is very close to the anus.
It makes it easier for bacteria to infect the urethra and travel upstream to the bladder and kidneys. The good report is that you can treat the disease urinary tract infection home remedies.
Some other causes of the infection include different sexual partners and holding back the urge to urinate. Others such as renal stones and tumors are very seldom.
The most common urinal infection that affects people is bladder infection (cystitis) which is not very serious, but if left unattended, can develop into serious kidney infections.
Some symptoms of urinary tract infection may include a burning sensation when passing urine, the need to urinate frequently – this may lead to urinary incontinence or even cause bedwetting problems, cloudy urine, and urine with an offensive odor. Others are a pain in the loin, fever, and chills, which are indications of upper infection of kidneys or ureters.
Urinary tract infection treatment
Urinary tract infection home remedies are the easiest and the most comfortable methods of treatment for the infection.
Many people depend on antibiotics and some other medicines prescribed for treatment. However, the bacteria causing the infection may resist the antibiotic fiercely, and the other drugs may have frequent but severe allergic reactions.
Below are some real urinary tract infection home remedies you can use for treatment. Before you use them, make sure the doctor confirms that you have a urinary tract infection. Also, seek the physician’s advice before using the remedies.
Corn silk remedy
The American Indians used corn silk to cure urinary problems. Boil 3 cups of water and pour it over a handful of fresh corn silk and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Strain, sweeten, and drink as much as you can. You may also use corn silk extract which is available in health food stores. Take 10-15 drops of the extract in 1 cup of water for treatment.
Sweet basil home remedies for UTI
Add 2 teaspoons of sweet basil to 1 cup of boiling water and let it steep for about10 minutes. Drink the content 2 times a day for two days. This is helpful for urinary and bladder infection treatment.
Organic apple cider vinegar drink
An increase in the acidic condition of urine is believed to increase the risk of urinary tract infection. Organic apple cider vinegar drink helps the urine to be in a normal acid condition. This indicates that the kidneys are functioning properly, and flushing out the body toxins.
You can mix the apple cider vinegar with honey or nectar and water and drink it 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, evening.)
You may test the acidity of your urine to see the improvement. Get an atrazine litmus paper from any drugstore and dip a small piece
in your urine before meals. The chart on the container will determine the acidity.
If it is yellow, the urine has normal acid (Ph 6.0 – pH 6.8). Any level below 7.0 is acidic and needs attention.
The level above 7.0 is alkaline and requires serious attention.
Boil 1 tablespoon of barley in 1 cup of water. Add some salt and lime juice to give it some taste, and more water to thin it if you want. Drink this 2-3 times a day for treatment.
Add ½ teaspoon of sandalwood powder to 1 cup of milk and drink it 2 times a day for treatment. Sandalwood is available in online stores.
Cranberry juice to reduce infection
Cranberry does not allow bacteria to stick to the walls of the bladder and urethra. Use 100 percent cranberry juice.
Most of the juice at the supermarket is diluted and contains a lot of added sugar. Do not drink more than 32 oz. a day. It may give you stomach upset if you do so. You may dilute it with water if you find it too strong to drink.
This actually is one of the simple urinary tract infection home remedies you can find around.
Other urinary tract infection home remedies
- Effective tea: You can also rely on the following teas as urinary tract infection home remedies.
- Boil some watermelon seeds for tea and sip on them the get rid of infections in your kidneys and bladder. Other useful teas may include dandelion, uva ursi, and astragalus tea.
- Grapefruit seed extract: Drinking a few drops of this seed extract in water also reduces the infection.
- Garlic: Consider eating 3 cloves of garlic a day or taking the garlic capsules a day as a remedy for inflammation of the bladder (cystitis.)
- Marshmallow root for burning sensation: Steep 4 teaspoons of marshmallow root in 8 cups of water overnight and drink throughout the next day to reduce burning sensations due to bladder infections.
- Aloe vera juice: Take some aloe vera juice in the morning and after your evening meals to reduce painful urination.
- Chestnut remedy: If you feel a frequent urge to urinate, chestnut is one of the urinary tract infection home remedies that can help you. Eat 3 fresh chestnuts before your breakfast and 3 after dinner for your treatment.
- Baking Soda remedy: Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water and drink it 3 times a day to reduce urinary tract infection. However, read the instructions on the baking soda container carefully before using it.
Vitamin C: Take the required dosage of vitamin C daily to enhance the immune system. It works against E Coli bacteria and acidifies the urine to decrease the growth of bacteria.
Probiotics: If you are taking antibiotics, nutritionists recommend that you take probiotics product that contains not less than 4 billion organisms a day, for 2 months. Take it 2 hours before or after taking antibiotics. However, do consult your medical attendant before doing so.
Urinary Tract Infection – Homeopathic remedy
Homeopathic urinary tract infection home remedies are potent so seek some assistance from a homeopath before using them.
Pulsatilla: When you feel much pain, or discomfort and a distressful urge to urinate when you lie down at night, and early hours in the morning, use pulsatilla for treatment.
Also Read: Home Remedies For Arthritis
Your diet must include foods that clear heat such as pears, mung beans, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, and watermelon. Consider eating foods with powerful antimicrobial effects such as garlic and ginger. Restrict sugar consumption to prevent feeding the bacteria.
Restrict high acid foods which increase burns when you urinate, such as grapefruit, orange juice, and strawberry.
Avoid spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine, which can trigger symptoms. Drink plenty of water every day. If you have access to green coconut water, drink it about 2 times a day for treatment.
These urinary tract infection home remedies might be easier to use if you live in Asia.
Grind a handful of thoroughly washed Bahama grass, also known as Durva grass, with 2 small Phyllanthus amarus to a fine paste.
Stir the paste into a glass of diluted buttermilk. Drink half in the morning and the other half in the evening. Phyllanthus amarus can also be obtained in capsules online, but follow the dosage instructions.
Also Read: Natural Remedies for High Cholesterol
Jambul fruit for the infection
This is one of the important urinary tract infection home remedies used in Asia. Consider this fruit, if you live in Asia or the tropics. If you live in the western world you may get it in some Indian or Asian stores.
Jambul contains anti-bacteria compounds called anthocyanins, which fight against E-coli bacteria, commonly responsible for urinary infections.
There is also a substance in it that prevents bacteria from forming a nidus or sticking to the walls of the mucous membrane.
Eat about 10 jambul fruits every morning to be free of urinary infections.
Preventive measures for infection
- Do not hold back urine when you feel it.
- Wipe from front to back when you have a bowel movement, to prevent E Coli bacteria from entering the urethra.
- Do not douche too often, so as to preserve pH balance and vaginal bacteria.
- Birth controls like diaphragms, and spermicides have a high risk of UTIs. Determine what to use.
- Use pads and regular tampons, and change them any time you urinate. Super-size tampons attract warmth and moisture and a favorable environment for germs. It can also prevent urine from passing out.
- Wash genitals before and after intercourse to reduce infection and urinate to reduce bacteria.
The combination of various urinary tract infection home remedies prove to be cheaper and reliable for urinary tract infection treatment. Do try any one of them.