Natural home remedies for scabies can help you a lot in minimizing the effects of scabies or getting rid of them entirely. Remember that many medicines are made from natural resources so they can help but be careful of chemically oriented medication.
Scabies is a contagious disease caused by (1) parasitic scabies mite that feeds on dead skin cells. It does appear as an itchy rash and it usually starts off on the hand.
It can easily spread from one person to another through skin-to-skin contact. An outbreak of scabies calls for treatment for everyone in the family though some may not have the scabies symptoms. This has to be done to prevent the mites that have survived on the skin of others, from returning in a couple of weeks.
Scabies is transferred when fertilized female mites burrow their way through the top layer of the skin and lay their eggs. The burrowing can sometimes produce visible lines on the skin. The eggs hatch in about three weeks, bringing forth a generation of mites that will be ready to multiply. After a few weeks, the insect’s excrement manifests itself as an itchy rash on the body.
If you do not want to treat this problem with chemical medication then your best and reliable choice will be home remedies for scabies treatment.
Can you catch scabies from a dog or cat? Human mites are different from those of cats and dogs. Animal mites may only have a temporary itch on the skin.
Home Remedies For Scabies
Oatmeal Bath for Itchiness
An oatmeal bath can help relieve itchiness from scabies. Put 1 cup of oatmeal in a cheesecloth and tie it with a string. Float it in a tub of warm water and immerse yourself in it for 30 minutes to relieve itchiness.
Other Home Remedies for Scabies
- Tea tree oil Is a strong disinfectant. Apply undiluted tea tree oil to the affected area 2 times a day to heal scabies rash.
- Comfrey oil is an excellent topical salve. Apply it 2 times a day for scabies treatment.
- Calendula ointment is healing and soothing for the skin. Use calendula ointment mixed with goldenseal for treatment. It has anti-microbial properties.
- Sesame oil: apply some oil to your affected area and massage it to the area for relief.
- Caraway seed supplement: This supplement taken alongside physical treatment for scabies can be very helpful. Take the dosage as required but do not take it if you are pregnant or have chronic diseases such as stomach ulcers, spastic, and colitis. Consult with your medical attendant before using it.
Sulfur is one of the home remedies for scabies with a strong reputation for treating scabies. However, anyone who has suffered from a pre-existing skin condition such as eczema or psoriasis problem, before developing scabies should be careful with this remedy.
In this case, it will be appropriate to consult the help of a homeopathic practitioner to direct the progress of the condition. Symptoms of scabies that call for this remedy include serious itching of the skin especially at night, after scratching or washing.
Drumstick and sesame remedy
These home remedies for scabies are mainly for people who live in Asia and have access to tropical plants.
- Get the juice out of 2 cups of drumstick leaves and add it to the same quantity of sesame seed oil. Heat it until the water boils out completely. Place in storage when it cools down, and put some on scabies every day for treatment.
Moringa juice: However if you live in the western world you can use moringa juice which is the same as drumstick juice.
- Get about ½ cup each of moringa juice and sesame seed oil from the store such as Walmart and boil them together till the juice evaporates and apply the cooled oily liquid to the affected area for relief.
Neem leaf paste remedy
Neem leaf paste is believed to be the best natural cure for scabies. Prepare a paste of fresh neem leaves or dried neem leaves and mix it with mustard oil.
Put it on the affected area and let it stay on for 60 minutes, and take a shower. Mustard oil can cause irritation to some people if left on the body longer than an hour. You may get this at the Amazon site. You may also use neem oil which is also available at the site.
Also Read: Home Remedies For Bladder Infection
Use this remedy for 8-10 days for full healing of the lesions. Also, drink 1 tablespoon of neem leaves decoction continuously for healing. Soak your clothes in boiled neem water, then wash and rinse them to stop the infection.
Henna cure for scabies
Henna is rich in certain chemicals that are effective in treating scabies, Make a paste with the fruits, leaves, powder, and bark of the plant and apply it directly to the affected area. It is not known to have any side effects except for transient discoloration of the skin. You can get the leaves and powder on the amazon site.
If you are using natural treatment for scabies you will need to have the patience for it to work. After all, natural foods take longer to cook than fast food and they taste and work better.
You may consult your physician before using any of these home remedies for scabies treatment.