Many women prefer home remedies for hot flashes to other methods because they seem to be pure.
A hot flash is the unexpected unpleasant feeling of burning heat. It usually begins in the chest, neck, or face, and spread to other parts of the body. This can cause mild or heavy sweating. Some people may experience this at night. That is called night sweat.
Sometimes, the sweating can be so heavy that your sheets would need to be changed. Consider some of these home remedies for hot flashes mentioned below to help alleviate your problem.
A hot flash is mainly caused by (1) menopause. Sometimes it is caused by other hormonal conditions. This affects many women. Some of them experience it way before menopause begins. If it happens before menopause begins, it is called perimenopause.
Hot flashes usually last for about 30 seconds to 5 minutes. They can happen a few times in a year or as often as 20 to 40 times a day.
Hot flash Home remedies
The essential oils remedy
Here is one of the important home remedies for hot flashes. Combine the following five different essential oils with purified water for application.
- 8 drops of lavender oils
- 3 drops of geranium oils
- 3 drops of bergamot oil
- 1 drop of peppermint oil
- 1 drop of clary sage oil
- ½ cup of water
Pour the mixture into a fine spray bottle and store it a room temperature. When you feel the heat rush coming, spray your face and body with the solution and breath it in a number of times, and repeat the process three times a day for the hot flash to subside.
Progesterone can make a difference
A study showed that over 70 percent of women who used the hormone progesterone for a year reduced their flashes.
A natural progesterone cream (Pro-Gest) is recommended for good hot flush treatment. Apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon 2 times daily, after getting out of bed, and before going to bed. Rub it into any area of your body.
The black cohosh remedy
This remedy was well known to native Americans. It got introduced to Europeans and it became a very successful medicine sold for women’s problems. Black cohosh has some estrogen-like activity.
One standardized extract that is made in Germany and sold in America and Europe is Remifemin. Studies show that it helps reduce hot flashes and vaginal dryness. It usually takes four weeks for the final effect of this black cohort to become apparent according to medical reports on the herb.
The herb lowers levels of the luteinizing hormone without affecting follicle-stimulating hormone or prolactin levels.
- Luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone help to control the operation of ovaries of women and testes of men.
This should be one of the important home remedies for hot flashes to look into. Check out the Remifemin for your benefit.
Chaste tree berry
This is another herbal remedy that is known to be effective in raising progesterone and estrogen levels. The berry has an effect on the pituitary glands and reduces levels of prolactin in the body.
- The pituitary gland is a small master gland in the head that produces hormones that are capable of controlling other glands and other body functions.
- Prolactin is a product of the Pituitary gland that helps women to produce milk after giving birth.
Check the herbal medicine out.
The vitamin method
One of the home remedies for hot flashes you need to pay attention to is the vitamin.
There is a combination that has worked for a patient that was suffering from hot flashes and migraine headache at the same time. Her naturopathic practitioner advised her to take black cohort with every meal and vitamin E 400 IU 2 times a day for treatment and to her surprise, the migraines and hot flashes subsided after using the remedies for 21 days.
- Valerian is good for a quiet night’s sleep. It is a safe, non-addictive herbal option for better sleep. Take a designated dosage of valerian extract 1 hour before bedtime.
- Vital also known as Chaste berry is very helpful for hot flashes and women who are experiencing heavy menstruation. The recommended dosage must be standardized to 0.6% aucubin extract.
- Another herb that is used for hot flashes treatment is a Chinese herb called Rehmannia. You can find this online. It is also used for night sweats and many common symptoms of menopause including heart palpitations.
- One of the folk remedies you might consider for random hot flashes is to sprinkle 1 or 2 opened herbal capsules on your food 3 times a day. You can use some of the following herbs like Gotu cola, blessed thistle, licorice root, yarrow, red raspberry leaf, and sarsaparilla.
Motherwort for flashes and irritability
Put 1 ounce of motherwort leaves in 1 pint of water and boil for 10 minutes.
Strain and drink at normal temperature. Drink ½-1 cup of tea 3 times a day for treatment.
As a tincture, take 2 droppers once an hour until the symptoms go. You can take it either straight or with water.
Red clover and anise treatment
Here are some herbal remedies for hot flashes that you can also use for treatment.
- 1 tablespoon of red clover flowers
- 2 teaspoons of bruised anise
- 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 1 cup of water
Boil the herbs in the cup of water for about 15 minutes and let it steep for a few minutes. Strain and drink about 3 cups in a day.
Red clover is rich in estrogen-like compounds. It can reduce the frequency of hot flashes. It does other things such as increasing bone density and reducing the growth of benign breast cysts. You may try this remedy for hot flashes and see how it can help you out.
Also Read: Best Natural Remedies For Menopause
Homeopathic home remedies for hot flashes
Homeopathic home remedies for hot flashes can be effective in reducing the frequency, severity, and duration of flashes.
- Belladonna treatment: Use belladonna for treatment if you experience flashes swiftly, triggering red hot patches in the affected area. Use the required dosage as recommended.
- Glonion treatment: Glonion is good for hot flashes triggered by hot sunny weather that affects the whole body. Follow the instructions on the container for the right dosage.
- A combination of hot caffeinated beverages with soda produces strong triggers for flashes. You can drink herbal tea, but watch out for the other hot beverages and soda together.
- You may want to cut down on estrogen when the weather is colder in a cold climate zone. It is no fun if you want to stop hot flashes in the summertime.
- Rely on cotton dresses, pillows, sheets for night sweat. They draw away moisture from the body.
- Avoid flannel, satin, or cotton/polyester blends that trap wetness around the body.
- Revise the side effects of your prescription drugs and make sure they do not include hot flushes.
Hopefully, you can discover the natural home remedies for hot flashes that suit your body. Do not take herbs for treatment if you are on medication. Consult with your doctor if you have to do so.